Thursday, February 12, 2009

Love Lockdown: The Old Money Edition


Somehow in the warped Old Money universe, listing a top 5-or-so love jawns of all time became, well, something else.

That said, we present to you, in no particular order, our top 5-or-so Clips of Love, and top 2-or-so poems of the moment by a couple of friends of ours.

And for the record, Dwayne Wayne busting into Whitley Gilbert's wedding and making it his own (Episode 25, Season 5) would have certainly made the list, if the youtube clip didn't look like an old kung-fu flick:



1. Elizabeth Acevedo

To Be

He speaks saxophone
And I want to be his favorite Nina Simone song.
Maybe "Feeling Good" or "Wild is the Wind",
Want him to breathe me.

Let me be a memory,
He will tell grandchildren about,
As he becomes the wrinkles at the corners of my eyes,
Proof of smiles and sunlight

I want to be his un-chartered, un-finished city
But only if he'll be my architect
Kissing blueprints onto my spine
I want him to be a town I've never visited
And I refuse to be a tourist in,
One, that one day, I will call home

Let him be fire, I will be air
So together we will be fire-breathers
Sun eaters, holding stars in our mouths,
Smoke speakers, teachers of interlocking elements.


As he becomes the wrinkles at the corners of my eyes!! Proof of smiles and sunlight! Yea son, we're suckers for metaphor, and the vision in those two lines alone...This piece is just crazy. Actually, we were just gonna include this one, but she has another one that's buh-nanas, and was recently published in the Urban Word NYC Youth Anthology: Connect Politic Ditto

Plaiting

My feelings
are smooth cornrows
Neatly twisted, and perfectly presentable
Do not undo them,
because beneath that polished exterior
Is unbounded, spiraling energy.

Shivers dance electric slides across my spine
as your fingers pirouette on my temples,
I attempt to
French braid thoughts of French kisses
Curb the tongue of my body; speaking drumbeats
How I want to learn the pattern of your hands

Such painful silence lives in our polite contact
My fingertips cannot betray
The logical walls we have built
And lust does not have the right
to break so many bricks.
Because besides our burning blood
Not much else can we offer:
You refuse to provide more,
I refuse to accept less.

So nightly, I take these feelings and plait them tightly,
Knowing us, as "just friends", could not survive their unwinding.

Shiiiiiieeet...in one form or another, we've probably all been there.

2. Aja Monet:



"Sitting the moon in your eyes like rocking chairs at night"

Excuse us, but that imagery is absolutely O/D!!!!!!
---------

1. Martin



After a break up Martin wins Gina back w/ a soulful rendition of his own

2. Coming To America



An ode to all the Queens out there

3. The Cosby Show



Cliff plays some delicious Jazz

4. The Jamie Foxx Show



Jamie gets his jingle on in a jingle-off, sparking a competitive flame

5. Kings of Comedy



Steve Harvey lets us know about keepin' it old school
----

Old Money. We outta here mang!

Show Old Money some love via Attorney Street as well as their website and MySpace.

Word From Your Moms:

"There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another."---Frank Zappa

6 comments:

god said...

I unquestionably understand what you have said. In fact, I browsed throughout your other articles and I think that you’re certainly right. Congrats with this site.
Hotels In Cordoba

COLLEGE CONSULTING said...

Great Post. Please visit our website for college consulting , Freshman and Transfer College Admissions Consulting | San Francisco Bay Area

Dramik 98 said...

nice post . plz visit our website for Encino dental implants

one stop flowers said...

Good article! I really love how it is easy on my eyes and the data are well written. I'm wondering how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your RSS which must do the trick! Have a nice day!

Regards
send flowers from uk to usa

coupons said...

This post carries a handsome and knowlededgeable information. I think it will be appretiated to everyone.
coupons

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.