Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Love Lockdown: The Metal Lungies Edition


When Scholar invited me to choose my five favorite love joints for Valentine’s Day, I figured, rather than just put together a random grab-bag of mushiness, I would create a musical path through the formation of the perfect relationship – the five types of love that that special someone invokes in you. What do I know about “love” and the “perfect relationship”? Not too much from experience, other than that the only thing more difficult to find than the former is the latter. In fact, my lack of experience was probably what inspired my song choices. Some may call me (and a few people have called me) “naïve”, but, to them I ask… is there any holiday that encourages naivete more so than Valentine’s Day?

(Well, there is April Fool’s Day… OK, Christmas, too – it certainly requires some degree of naivete to imagine an old fat guy dressed in red sliding down your chimney with reindeer posted up on the roof… OK, you can argue for Columbus Day, seeing as it also requires some naivete to swallow the pill that Christopher Columbus discovered America, though that’s a debate for another day… and, yes, technically Valentine’s Day isn’t a “holiday”, but rather a creation by greeting card companies to make money… for heaven’s sake, man, it was a freaking rhetorical question! No wonder you’re alone on Valentine’s Day!)

Zapp – “I Wanna Be Your Man” (YSI)
Zapp - "I Wanna Be Your Man" (Limelinx)

This is that secret admirer, “I had my eyes on you for a while and just now worked up the nerve to approach you” type of love music.


D'Angelo – "Cruisin' (Dallas Austin Remix)” (YSI)
D'Angelo - "Cruisin' (Dallas Austin Remix)" (Limelinx)

This is that hanging out and doing nothing but looking each other in the eyes type of love music (… remixed by Dallas Austin).

Mos Def – "The Panties" (YSI)
Mos Def - "The Panties" (Limelinx)

This is that lit candles, bubble bath, gripping the bedsheets type of love music.

The Intruders – "Together” (YSI)
The Intruders - "Together" (Limelinx)

This is that saving up a couple of paychecks for a ring because this one right here might be a keeper (and a cubic zirconia just ain’t gonna cut it) type of love music.

The Isley Brothers – "Voyage To Atlantis" (YSI)
The Isley Brothers - "Voyage To Atlantis" (Limelinx)

This is that together forever, complete ignorance of the fact that 50% of marriages end in divorce, essentially ruining your life but still couldn’t be happier type of love music.

As for those of you who aren’t big fans of Valentine’s Day – which includes myself, now that I’ve stepped out of the fantasy world I was in while writing this post – head over to ML for five songs that may be more up your alley.

Word From Your Moms:

"If somebody says, 'I love you,' to me, I feel as though I had a pistol pointed at my head. What can anybody reply under such conditions but that which the pistol-holder requires? 'I love you, too.' ---Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to mention that the five other songs referred to at the end of this post will be up on Metal Lungies on Friday. Thanks again for the drop, Scholar!

Anonymous said...

The D'angelo remix is tight. Gracias

Penis Enlargement Pills said...

I am thoroughly convinced in this said post. I am currently searching for ways in which I could enhance my knowledge in this said topic you have posted here. It does help me a lot knowing that you have shared this information here freely. I love the way the people here interact and shared their opinions too. I would love to track your future posts pertaining to the said topic we are able to read.

god said...

Thank you so much for providing individuals with remarkably pleasant opportunity to read from this site. It’s always very pleasing and as well , stuffed with a lot of fun for me personally and my office colleagues to visit the blog nearly three times a week to find out the newest stuff you have got. And definitely, we are at all times motivated with your mind-boggling guidelines served by you. Some 1 points in this article are essentially the best we have all had.

god said...

Many thanks for developing the effort to discuss this, I feel strongly about this and like studying a great deal more on this subject. If feasible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your webpage having a great deal much more info? It is very beneficial for me.
Hotels In Alicante

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
peter parker said...

"Love Lockdown Metal Lungies Edition is a great album that really captures the emotion and intensity of the original. nordvpn 2 year deal The production is top notch and the added metal elements really bring something new to the table. It's an album that I'm sure I'll be listening to for years to come!"