Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Somethin' That Means Somethin'

When I first decided to run the guest series, I made a vow to myself and the soul children that I would only extend an invitation to the truly worthy---people who I personally respect and greatly admire. The man of the hour is certainly no exception. DJ Prestige runs an amazing spot called Flea Market Funk that has proven to be a utopian goldmine for funk and soul enthusiasts worldwide. Pres has not only mastered the fine art of mixing, but he also gets mad props from me for being a crate digger extraordinaire. I sincerely can't stop listening to this mix he created for us, and I'm confident that you'll find it every bit as addictive. High regards and eternal gratitude, Pres...
Scholar


You probably don't know who I am. I wouldn't expect you to. I'm the new kid on the block in this blogosphere. I finally got serious in March and started documenting my obsession with vinyl. I've been digging seriously since the mid 90's, mostly at flea markets and yard sales. When everyone else is going to bed at 5:30 am, I'm getting up to go to the spot. I don't pay a lot of money for records, for me it's all about the thrill of the chase. I can say, I've never paid more than $20 for a 45, and I'm ok with that. I'm sure at some point if I have to have an expensive piece, I will cross that bridge when I get there. When I first started writing, other than Funky 16 Corners and Soul Sides, I didn't really know many other bloggers. Scholar was one of the first cats who put me on positive blast, saying something like: "I don't give many links to blogs that are less than a month old, but this one has potential". That quote stuck with me, and I appreciate it. He's sent some really cool people my way, and I'd like to hope I've done the same. Since the inception of FMF, I've met a lot of people on here, who have thrown out some knowledge about the record game. I dig that because I'm always a student, we all are, no one can have all the records. Even if the Biz says he does, we learn every day.

Here's a mix of 17 choice Deep Funk and Raw Soul cuts I'm digging at the moment. There are 3 reissues: the Chuck Womack, the Latin Breed, and Abraham & the Metronomes. All the rest were dug up in the field. You see, I wanted to give you "Something That Means Something", because this music means a helluva lot to me. Thanks for the opportunity Scholar, I appreciate it brother. Keep Diggin'!

Somethin' That Means Somethin' (FMF Guest Mix for Souled On Music) (mp3)

Delia Gartrell - Fight Fire With Fire/ Right On
The Sweet Cherries - Don't Give It Away/ T-Neck
Chuck Womack & The Sweet Souls - Ham Hocks& Beans Part 1/ Rejoin
The Village Choir - The Switch/ Paramount
Willie Mitchell - 20-75/Hi
Donald Austin - Crazy Legs/ East Bound
Lee Eldred - Shakin' Baby Part 1/ Mercury
Latin Breed - I Turn You On/ Funk 45
Chet "Poison" Ivey & His Fabulous Avengers - Shake A Poo Poo/ Tangerine Record Corporation
The Joneses - Pull My String (Turn Me On)/ MP
Thomas East - Funky Music Part 1/ MGM
James Carr - Coming Back To Me Baby/ Goldwax
Renaldo Domino - Don't Go Away/ Blue Rock
All Points Bulliten Band - Sexy Legs-Pretty Ways Part 1/ Little City
Abraham and the Metronomes - Party/ Funk 45
Gloria Taylor - You've Got To Pay the Price/ Silver Fox
The Witches and the Warlock - I Don't Want To Live My Life Alone/ Sew City

Word From Prestige's Moms:

"In my music, I'm trying to play the truth of what I am. The reason it's difficult is because I'm changing all the time." -Charles Mingus

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to hearing this mighty set. The man did indeed come out the box strong and hasn't let up since. I am proud that he invited me to his legendary 45 Sessions up in Asbury Park to spin some of my faves...

Unknown said...

ooooooooooo another great post and fantastic contribution, I have heard a couple of tracks but this mix does look very dope, digging the cover as well.

Thanks Prestige and Scholar

HSB DaveB. said...

I've been anticipating this one since the guest series started. Prestige is one of the BADDEST DJ's and mixologists out there. I'm in constant awe of his knowledge and skills. He's sho'nuff the real deal. Dig IT!!

Peace and SOUL,
Dave...

polk said...

Damn, this set is heavy. Pres is tha man. This funkiness is goin' on the iPod as we speak...

Scholar - keep up the good work. Your guest mix series is tha bomb.

Doctor Okeh said...

Dope , Imma check this ot, thx bru

Anonymous said...

Joey Gilmore man, I know you know.

Check this fly shit out: http://soundcloud.com/petit-jean/the-funky-grit-part-1-dj-bamboo/download

Peace my man,

DJ Bamboo

vibradores said...

I saw really much worthwhile data above!

www.burgos-3d.com said...

Pretty helpful material, thanks so much for the article.