Sunday, September 23, 2007

Souled On Samples Part XIII


It's lucky number 13, soul children. I put together some extra-special tunes for you in honor of this momentous occasion...

"Move Over"---Soul Children
(Sampled on "On The Real" by Nas)

Dig deeper...

"Common Man"---David Ruffin
(Sampled on "Never Change" by Jay-Z)

Dig deeper...

"Morning Broadway"---Keith Mansfield
(Sampled on "Space Ho's" by DangerDoom---MF Doom + DangerMouse)

Dig deeper...

"What It Is"---The Temptations
(Sampled on "The Corner" by Common)

Dig deeper...

"I'll Stay"---Funkadelic
(Sampled on "Millie Pulled A Pistol On Santa" by De La Soul, "Long Live The Fugitive" by K-Solo, and "Hay" by Crucial Conflict)

Dig deeper...



"The Look Of Slim"---Gene Harris & The Three Sounds
(Sampled on "Slim's Return" by Madlib)

Dig deeper...

"Why I Keep Living These Memories"---Jean Knight
(Sampled on "Defeat" by Afu-Ra---prod. by DJ Premier)

Dig deeper...

"You Roam When You Don't Get It At Home"---The Sweet Inspirations
(Sampled on "One" by Ghostface Killah)

Dig deeper...

"Changing Face"---JJ Band
(Sampled on "Jewelz" by OC---prod. by Lord Finesse)

Dig deeper...

"Gimme Some" ---Freddie McCoy
(Sampled on "For Pete's Sake" by Pete Rock & CL Smooth)

Dig deeper...

Bonus mp3s:

"On The Real"---Nas (from the 12" single b/w "Star Wars")

"The Corner (Mo' Green Remix)" ---Common

"Somersault (DangerMouse Remix)"---Zero 7 w/ MF Doom (If you like a little danger in your doom...)

Spectacular visuals:

Video for the LP version of "The Corner"...


...and the Ro Blvd. remix (for my man Tony Li)


Video for "Slim's Return"...

...and one of the most informative Madlib interviews of all time.


David Ruffin performing "Common Man"--a performance thats magnitude is rivaled only by the size of his hairdo...


Word From Your Moms:

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."---Berthold Auerbach

12 comments:

DL said...

Easy Scholar,

Lovely drop again my friend, and the video action this time around is tight. YouTube on a Sunday afternoon... doesn't get much better!

Keep up the good work and I hope that things are cool with you.

Cheers

Dan

Travis said...

One of my favorite features on Souled On, good stuff and thanks for the Gene Harris track.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the shout out scholar. you the man brother, keep up the good work

Captain Panettone said...

brilliant again.
i had to get "What it is" off a fufustew mix as well, i couldn't find it anywhere.
apparently that temptations album is hard to come by.
cheers

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure the MF Doom/Dangermouse remix of Zero 7's "Somersault" was the 100 millionith download on iTunes a few years ago.

Scholar said...

Dan---Hey Mr. Love. I think that's the most videos I ever put in a single post. I was worried it was overkill, so I'm glad you appreciated it. Couldn't resist the last one---nothing's better than Soul Train and big hair.

Travis---The Gene Harris was absolutely, 100% for you. Wasn't sure if you had that track or not, but you've been talking about him lately, so...

Satch---Thank you for asking the Lord to be with me, cousin. I feel blessed.

As far as Z-Share goes, I know---it's shitty. When I used divShare, I got a complaint about that. I'm too cheap to pay for anything. Now what?

Anyway, hope all's well at the couch. Holla @ me.

Tony---I haven't figured out the answer to your question yet---a shout in your honor was the least I could do.

Paul---Wow. The internet can be such a small world despite its enormity. I read Fufu all of the time---Vincent is like family 'round here. However, I actually got that track from a Canadian reader who I swapped some mp3s with a few weeks ago. He's a Temps fan and I specifically asked him for that joint because I have never owned the Solid Rock LP. I could tell it came from a mix, but I didn't realize it was Vincent's. Thanks for the props and info. Paul---and gratitude for the joint V if that was from a Fufu mix.

By the way Vincent(if you happen to read this)---I'm working on that project for you. Should have it for you in a few days.

Zilla---No shit? I like that joint a lot, but truthfully, I'm not crazy about that woman's voice. It annoys and compels me at the same time. Thought a few people might want to pick it up, though. I was sure you were going to hate on that Mo Green remix...haha.

Captain Panettone said...

Hey Scholar,

4 Brothers have just uploaded The Temptations - Solid Rock if you are interested - very hard to come by.

http://4brothersbeats.blogspot.com/

http://www.mediafire.com/?79q4idcyloz

Peace.

Paul

Scholar said...

Satch---I'll put that in my blunt my blunt and smoke it. Maybe I'll switch things up around here pretty soon. You know you can e-mail me if you want something that's causing you problems, nephew.

Paul---Thank you just doesn't seem good enough. Much, much, much appreciated.

Peter Tron said...

many thanks 4 the orig. joints of solo's fugitive and pete rock's 'pete's sake tracks.

cheers!

Baz.

Anonymous said...

hi ya´ll...if u love this sample blog stuff, you will like my sample blog in here:
http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38543

lots of zshare links i upped myself...enjoy...peace

Anonymous said...

wouls you happen to have the whole jj band - changing face track?

shop tienda erotica said...

Oh my god, there is really much useful information here!