Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Don't You Know No One Alive Can Always Be An Angel



"Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood"---Nina Simone
You already know how I feel about Nina Simone---she's at least the best thing since Jesus, right? This is the title track to the first Nina record I purchased, a song that remains an absolute favorite of mine. It's pointless to try to describe something of this magnitude with words. Just listen...

"I'm No Angel (Sol-Kaliba mix)" ---Jay-Z
Yes boys and girls, Kingdom has finally Come. This will end the Hova remix series---at least for the time being. I have a whole lot more in the vault, so expect this material at some point following his second return from retirement. I give the whole ordeal about five years to come full circle.

Anyway, this track seemed more than appropriate to throw into the mix today. It's from The Blackest Album, and features the lyrics from "Lucifer" blended with the Nina Simone track above. Every once in a while, there's a hint of method to my madness...

...but then I turn right around and get random with it all over again...

"People Get Up And Drive Your Funky Soul"---James Brown
Slaughter's Big Rip-Off isn't generally listed amongst the most acclaimed records that James Brown ever released. However, there are a few nice tracks from that album that get overlooked simply because of the company that they keep. This particular song is classic JB material, offering a healthy dose of The Godfather just the way ya likes him.

"You Got 2" ---Triple Threat w/ Main Flow and Black Thought (of The Roots)
Most fans of turntablism probably know the Triple Threat DJs. The collective consists of Apollo, Vinroc, and Shorkut. I know this won't appeal to everyone, but it's a gem for scratch fiends and Roots fanatics. I don't know how many people in the audience are reppin' for Main Flow, but this track can be dedicated to that guy, too---what the hell?

Word From Your Moms:

"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free."---Michelangelo

"I feel that there is an angel inside me whom I am constantly shocking."---Jean Cocteau

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, "People Get Up" is definitely gonna be my soundtrack for the bus ride home tomorrow. Those high notes during each repetition (I think it's organ) are a great touch. And Fred Wesley is always amazing. If you get a chance, check out his autobiography "Hit Me Fred: Recollections of a Sideman." Very interesting stuff.

Anonymous said...

Solidarity on the Nina track - "Misunderstood" has always been my favorite for years as well.

Scholar said...

Adam---I haven't read "Hit Me Fred" yet, so I'll have to check it out. I have a ridiculous number of books that I've acquired and plan to read some day. I've decided that the only way I'm ever going to have enough time to get through them all is if I quit my job. Sometimes that sounds like such an ingenious idea...

Glad you liked that JB joint enough to make it part of the soundtrack on your journey.

Flood---
"Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" is musical perfection as far as I'm concerned. It's good to know I'm not alone in my appreciation.