Thursday, August 25, 2005

Free Speech Not Only Lives, It Rocks

The title of today's post comes courtesy of a quote by Oprah Winfrey. I have no idea what the original context was for this statement, but it seems like sort of an odd thing for her to say under any circumstances. Was this from an interview with Eddie Van Halen or something? I'm not gonna front---I don't really fuck with Oprah at all anymore, so I have no idea. She's just a little too closely associated with "the man" these days for me to be 100% comfortable with her. I was in her corner when she was still keepin' it gully, but her portrayl of Sophia in The Color Purple is a far cry from the relatively vacuous every-woman image she has been trying to project for the past several years. This formula clearly works for millions of viewers...I just don't want to be one of them.

Anyway, I always end up digressing from my original point (pothead procrastination, one might say). My real point (as I recall) has to do with free speech and expression. In my last post, I talked shit about Tipper Gore and the PMRC, hoping to expose them for the self-righteous Nazi ideals they so proudly represented. Today I'm back to the future (just like Michael J. Fox's ass, son), with a feature on the newest incarnation of the art/media police...none other than James Dobson's Focus On The (dysfunctional, yet WASP-y) Family. You can check out their website to find out exactly what movies, television shows and musical artists they find offensive. It's a fairly exhaustive list, so don't plan to read all of the content until you have approximately two months that you can freely contribute to mindless bullshit: http://www.pluggedinonline.com/. The site's worth visiting momentarily though, at least to check out some of the things they are targeting for no apparent reason. Some of the artists they take issue with are Aaliyah, John Legend, Anita Baker, and Justin Timberfake (no typo). They also believe (in all of their God-given wisdom) that a couple of songs by Destiny's Child are objectionable, supposedly because the lyrics "feature hormonally tinged infatuation". Huh? Please don't make me explain why that's just totally fucked up...

Today, I feel like it's my ethical obligation to make sure that everyone in my sphere of existence knows about Jean Grae. As far as female MCs are concerned, I don't see that any of her peers can truly contend with her skills on the mic. Disagree if you want to, but this is my blog, and I say so. Download.com has a couple of mp3s you can cop for free from her album This Week: http://music.download.com/jeangrae/3600-8526_32-100411502.html?tag=listing_song_artist. Even though this material was released last year, it's never too late to be enlightened, is it? The tracks they posted are not the best songs from the album, and I personally prefer The Bootleg Of The Bootleg EP to most of the tracks on This Week. If these songs are your first exposure to her music, I'd suggest doing more research before making a final decision. Some further investigation can be done here: http://www.okayplayer.com/jeangrae/.

I decided to put Dave Chappelle's mug on today's post, because I've really been missing his show a lot lately. The reruns and the DVDs were excellent the first 9762 times, but now I'm really fiending for something fresh. The last time I heard anything about Chappelle's Show was when Charlie Murphy announced its demise: http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/08/03/tv.chappelle.sshow.ap/
If anyone has any more recent info, let me know. Meanwhile, links to some of the show's finer moments are here (http://www.badtree.com/Chappelles_Show.php?FN=Black_Bush.wmv)

and here: http://www.entensity.net/?content=chappellesshow.

Hopefully, I'll be able to do more posts than usual this week. I'm the lucky recipient of a few days off from the slave labor camp that manages to keep me incredibly satisfied, as well as gainfully employed. Hopefully, you can sense when I'm lying to you... Anyway, I'm going to try to do something constructive with part of my time off, but I may also be hangin' out here quite a bit, too: http://www.contraband.co.uk/show/show.asp?ID=1611&rtn=main-topten.

2 comments:

thecorrector said...

Her comment was made after Dr. Phil helped her win that case in Amarillo, Texas, that The Cattlemen brought against her.

Beef - it's what's for dinner.

Scholar said...

Thanks for the info, corrector. I really wasn't sure when/why she said that...you're pretty damn smart. Peace...